Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Symphony of Cracks and Bubbles




I grew up in a small town in western Wyoming.  On a recent trip home to visit my parents, I took the opportunity to check out Fremont Lake.  Fremont is the largest lake in the area and every few years it freezes clear before snow blankets it.  This was one of those special years so I wanted to enjoy the phenomena.  Little did I know that a simple trip to the lake would have such a profound affect on my life.

As I approached the lake, I noticed several people hundreds of feet from shore enjoying the spectacle on their ice skates.  Standing at the edge of the lake, I marveled at clear ice as far as I could see.  It was astonishing.  When the lake freezes this way, it’s typically only a few days before a snowstorm rolls through and covers everything in a blanket of white.  It was almost eerie looking at the frozen sheet and wondering just how strong the ice was.  I went further around the lake and found myself in solitude.  No one around – blanketed in absolute quiet.  What happened next was nothing short of transformative.

Standing at the edge of the ice, I was struck by the absolute silence.  Without a breeze there were no interruptions from cars, planes, or people.  The bitter cold air and snow muffled every sound except for a periodic squawk from a raven somewhere in the distance.  I stood in the quiet losing track of time absorbed in the silence.  It was in that solitude that I heard it.  At first almost imperceptible, I noticed sounds coming from beneath the ice.  I could hear small bubbles struggling to find a path to the surface and crackling as tiny fissures strained within the ice.  I stayed for a long time listening carefully.  I was overwhelmed by the immensity of the moment. The lake was alive and singing its own symphony, even in its hibernation.  Had it not been so quiet, I would never have heard the song.  I found my spirit connected with the music.  And despite the bitter cold against my cheeks and hands, the silence was like a warm blanket around me – I could have remained there for hours.

The bubbles and cracks were nearly impossible to detect without the quiet that encapsulated them.  It reminded me of the vital importance of silence.  It occurred to me that without it, those bubbles and cracks would have gone unnoticed.  This insight led me to think about the bubbles and tiny cracks in my own life.  Am I quiet enough to hear the song within me looking for a path to the surface.  Later, I reflected on the importance of silence in being able to detect areas of stress in my life, just like the water beneath the ice was trying desperately to find a way to crack toward the surface.  Often, the stress is there, but I allow the roar of everyday life to drown out the warning signals until it’s often too late.



The beautiful sonnet played by the lake on that day will forever fill my heart.  It will act as a reminder that many songs in our lives can only be heard in silence.  While it may sound counter-intuitive, it really is in silence that we are able to hear the melody beneath the ice that’s straining to be heard.

Duane Grove is founder of Connect2Action and an aspiring quiet, reflective servant-leader.  Curious sage in perpetual development connecting us all on a journey of discovery of our highest purpose.  Follow Duane on Twitter @connect2action and connect with him on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+.  Learn more about Connect2Action by visiting www.connect2action.com.

You can follow his blogs at:  mindfulperspectives.blogspot.com and connect2action.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment